The capital of the United States has allowed the recreational use of weed since midnight after the states of Alaska, Colorado, Washington and Oregon have already amended their laws.
Residents and visitors can now have as much as two ounces (56 grams) of cannabis on their person and can even grow up to six plants at home – provided they are over the age of 21.
In Oregon, the recreational smoking of cannabis will also be legal from 1 July this year and it will be available to buy from designated shops.
The personal allowance of eight ounces in Oregon is significantly more generous than the other states and households will also be allowed to grow up to four plants each.
In Colorado, possession of up to one ounce is allowed and up to seven grams is permitted for non-residents. Smoking with discretion has also been advised. The state has also collected at least $60 million in taxes so far from licensed dispensary sales.
The state of Washington voted in favour of decriminalising marijuana in 2012. It is currently legal to purchase up to an ounce to smoke in private areas…more
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)